Cat Poisoning

Cat Poisoning

Cats, when curious, can get into a lot of trouble by swallowing products that are around the house or in the garbage.

Cat Poisoning Symptoms

Signs of poisoning by oven cleaner products are bloody vomit. Diarrhea, shock, depression, coma, convulsions (sometimes), coughing, abdominal pain, and redness around the mouth are some causes. Note Do not induce vomiting! Make your cat swallow milk, egg whites, or olive oil to decrease the absorption of the poison.

Acids and alkalis can also burn the mouth and skin, so flush these areas with large amounts of water. Apply a sodium bicarbonate paste to acid burns. Apply vinegar to neutralize alkali burns.

Signs of poisoning by these products include severe vomiting, diarrhea, delirium, collapse, coma, and convulsions. If your cat is conscious, induce vomiting: mix equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide (3 percent strength) and water and administer one tablespoon of this fluid. A mustard and water solution also work well. Another way to induce vomiting is to sput a few tablespoons of salt on the back of the cat’s tongue; repeat this until vomiting occurs. Then treat for shock.

Cat Poisoning Treatment

If your cat swallows a poison, call your poison control center immediately and get veterinary aid. Take the poison container and a sample of the vomit to the veterinarian. If your cat stops breathing, give artificial respiration..If you cannot reach your veterinarian or poison control center, check for the poison on the following lists and give the prescribed treatment. If the poison cannot be identified, force your cat to swallow egg whites, milk of magnesia, and/or milk.

Poisonous substances to a cat include Petroleum Products, Acids, and Alkalis; Dishwasher granules; Drain cleaner; Paint thinner; Floor polish; Shoe polish; Furniture polish; Toilet-bowl cleaner; Gasoline Wax (floor or Kerosene furniture); and Lye Wood preservative.

Do not give cats acetaminophen or aspirin. Acetaminophen (even one-half of a 325-milligram tablet) will cause breathing difficulties, liver and red blood cell damage, and head swelling. Prompt treatment by your veterinarian with supportive care, Mucous, and treatment can save your cat’s life.

Wipe up any dripping antifreeze (ethyl-e ne glycol) when adding it to your car. Anti-freeze is highly toxic: disorientation. Seizures and kidney failure can occur within thirty minutes after antifreeze is swallowed.

If your cat is unconscious, oxygen and intravenous fluids will be given. Other life-pre-serving procedures, such as stomach pump-in, may be necessary. Hospitalization will be required.

If your cat is conscious, treatment will depend upon what particular poison was swallowed and whether an antidote is known.

See more: Cat Parasite

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *